Happiness is a Run Around the Lake


Today was not the prettiest of days. It was overcast and the clouds were gathered in the sky in such a way that it looked like it might pour rain at any second. It was cooler, but yet a pinch of humidity still hung in the air. Today may not have been pretty, but for some reason, it made me feel like going for a run.

This is a feeling I have not experienced in a very long time. Knowing full well that my sudden will to exercise could evaporate at any moment, I hastily put on my Nikes and grabbed PT's leash. We were off to the lake.

PT strutted beside me as I ran down the trail, both of us panting heavily as we went along. I'm sure we were quite the sight to anyone who passed us; a little blonde girl, completely out of shape, dragging a slightly unwilling wiener pup behind her. We may have looked silly, but I felt great.

In my haste to leave the house I had forgotten to grab my iPod, so without any music to listen to as I ran, my mind wandered. For reasons I cannot explain, my brain played back little memories from the past month here in Dallas, and as I jumped from thought to thought, I realized something: I am happy here.

Let me be clear that this is a phrase I never thought I would say. I moved here with every intention of leaving in a year, transferring to some other office in a city where I had friends. But now having lived here, I think I'm changing my mind. I like it here. I like my house, my job and my new friends. I love this city more than I ever thought I would and I am ecstatic about that. Dallas is my home now, and I like it that way.

.I am happy here and I'm happy about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment