Death is not something I think about often. It's not a pleasant thought, and for your typical 22 year old, it's not really something you need to worry about.
I found out today that a fellow public accountant collapsed in her office and died suddenly, without warning. She was a first year staff, just like myself [albeit at a rival firm] with no history of medical problems. Healthy as a horse, and yet that one little incident took her out of this world. I didn't know her well. I'd only met her a few times, but we'd shared a few beers and pleasant conversations in our brief time together. She was smart and funny and it's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that she's gone.
Sometimes I forget just how precious life is. I get bogged down in details, wrapped up in drama and stressed over the little things far more often than I'd like to admit. With so many distractions, it's easy to take life for granted. I don't want to take it for granted anymore. I want to live every day as if it were my last. And goddamit, from here on out, I'm going to do just that.
No comments:
Post a Comment