The following is a complete list of the current contents of my fridge:
-A gallon of milk
-5 Jello 60 calories pudding snack packs
-A leftover calzone from a couple days ago that I should probably throw away
-A package of salami
-A half-eaten block of mild cheddar cheese
-A couple of slices of turkey sandwich meat
-3 eggs
-Ketchup
-Smucker's strawberry jelly
-A can of pasta sauce I'm fairly certain I bought in college
-3/4 a loaf of whole wheat bread
-An unopened bottle of champagne
It should be fairly obvious at this point that I do not cook. [Don't let the pasta sauce fool you, I haven't made pasta since I moved to Dallas]. This time of year [aka busy season] I eat all of my meals at a desk. Breakfast at my desk at home, perusing the internet while I wake up. Lunch, which I pack myself [and may very much resemble the lunch your mother packed you as a child, unless she was one of those healthly moms in which case it looks nothing like your elementary brown bag] at my desk at work. Dinner, which we order in every night, also at my work computer. Obviously there's not a lot of time for cooking meals in this schedule. While I'd like to say that outside of busy season I cook meals for myself, I simply cannot lie to you. The truth is, I don't know how to cook.
Unless it involves a microwave, I'm pretty useless in the kitchen. The most complicated meal I've prepared for myself in the past year has been a quesadilla. Pathetic, I know, but no one has ever taught me how to cook. My family was always too busy with work, sports practice, girl scouts, boy scouts, you name it to eat a real family dinner together, so my mom rarely cooked while I was growing up. Then I went to college where I lived off of hot pockets and take out and now here I am as an adult, with a boyfriend whose fridge is even more pathetic than mine[if you can believe that], so clearly he's no help. I think with a little direction in the kitchen, I'd be able to whip up a simple meal, provided I have a nice, easy to follow recipe.
And this is where you, dear reader, come in. What's your favorite simple meal to make? Follow any good recipe blogs? Enlighten me please, my poor stomach is dying for a home-cooked meal!
I have lots of easy EASY recipes on my blog :) I try to keep things simple with the occasionally more difficult recipe but almost everything that I cook requires things that I already have in my pantry or don't cost too much at the store. Let me know what you end up cooking!!
ReplyDeleteGirl, I am 100% on your level with the cooking thing but living with Courtney & Amy has taken my game up to a new level (and by new level I mean I watch them cook... which is the same as cooking right?). Anyways, I actually DID cook last night... it was SUPER easy (obviously). Just buy a pound of ground turkey at the store and a box of Zataran's dirty rice mix.... you brown the turkey then add it to the rice... wait 25 minutes for it to cook on the stove then DONE. easiest thing ever. and very tasty :)
ReplyDeleteGo to tastespotting.com. There are TONS of recipes, and it will make you salivate.
ReplyDelete