Praiseworthy.
A couple of months ago a little band called
Arcade Fire won a Grammy for Album of the Year. While most of the country sat in confusion wondering who the
eff Arcade Fire was, I was bursting with excitement that one of my favorite bands had finally gotten some well-deserved recognition [although I personally believe it was completely insulting to have Katy Perry even in the same category]. Shortly after their big win, the band announced a North American tour including a stop right here in Dallas. I purchased tickets the second they went on sale and very impatiently waited for the day of the show to arrive. And this past Saturday the day had finally come!
We had pit tickets, so we got there plenty early to ensure us a spot right at the front. The band that opened for the opening band was a local all girls group and I'm fairly certain that not a single member in the band is old enough to vote. They weren't awful, but I won't be buying their music any time soon. The opening band [who was actually on the bill] was Okkervil River. They're apparently a fairly well-known band out of Austin, although I had never heard of them. I liked their music just fine, but I was totally distracted by the fact that the lead singer literally took off an article of clothing after every song. Seriously, the man came out in glasses, a button down with a sweater vest over it and a blazer on top. He ended the set in only an undershirt. After collecting all his clothing, the band left the stage and it was time to wait.
 |
| Please forgive the shotty photo quality. They didn't allow cameras so I had to rely on my Blackberry. |
For those of you unfamiliar with Arcade Fire, they play like a gajillion instruments, so it takes a little while to set up all their equipment. Luckily for me, it was the perfect opportunity for a potty break [ridiculously over-priced 24 oz beers flow right through me!]. And I'm proud to say I timed it perfectly and never had to leave for the restoom during Arcade Fire's set [and if you know my bladder, you know that's a big accomplishment].
 |
| Playing the title song from the Grammy award winning album, The Suburbs |
Once Arcade Fire finally came on stage, the next couple hours were pure magic. I mean really, they are absolutely amazing live. Win and Regine [the husband and wife duo that founded the band with Win's brother Will] have beautiful voices and can belt it out live just as good as they do on the record [and maybe even better].
 |
| Win Butler, in all his musical genius, about 3 feet away from me. |
And the rest of the band is just as incredible. There's 8 members in total, none of which play a single instrument the entire set. It's like a game of musical chairs after every song as people shift and switch instruments for the next number.
 |
| Encore performance of Wake Up [i.e. the one Arcade Fire song you've probably heard before] |
It was honestly one of the best concerts I've ever seen and if you ever get the chance to see them live, I definitely encourage you to do so. I promise you will not be disappointed [unless of course you're one of the millions of ass clowns who support Ke$ha financially and in that case you probably will be disappointed. Because you clearly have no taste in music].
No comments:
Post a Comment